Saturday, November 28, 2009

Windy Coolness and Cheesy Business. Or is it Cheesy Coolness and Windy Business? You Decide

So, week 9 is coming to an end. And I am starting to make an effort to blog a little, which is good, I suppose, take a break to tell you what’s going on around here.

Which isn’t much, considering that I hadn’t been out often this week.

But, in the past few days, the weather has got a bit weirder. Monday morning turned out fine; sunny and breezy, the ducks happily shedding their feathers all over the place. But within an hour or two, it turned cloudy, then dark, then the weather system unleashed the mother of all winds; it was so strong that when you watch the rain, it’s as if the drops of water were hosed at 90° rather than falling from the sky. Tens of umbrellas were fatally destroyed, papers (presumably posters for climate change) flew everywhere, and everyone standing outside the library at that moment looked like Batman, jackets and scarves blown up like some epic superhero movie. I for once looked like George Clooney, when he’s got a bad hair day, that is....

24 hours later, and it seemed that my uni had been transported into a totally different weather dimension. The sun was even brighter, the wind was gone, more ducks and herons this time. Then, you step out of the accommodation and POW!! Your nose is frozen. Weather forecast forecasted (so corny) 4°C that day. THAT DAY!! Not night, but the day, and I wouldn’t doubt it, the first time in many years since I trusted those silly graphics of clouds and rains. I was properly insulated though, my Abercrombie and Fitch jacket doing a tidy job of keeping myself and my handphone nice and warm. But my nose and ears were, I dunno, frosting? So listen up, Nike and Adidas and Marks and Spencer and Cheetah and Kiki Lala, and whatever clothing line, here’s a tip to make some money (or at least my money). Try selling ski masks that reaches up to the nose, something like Zorro’s but inverted to cover the nose rather than risk not seeing any oncoming car.

That night, though, my uni was transported back to the initial horrific climate conditions once again, with a severe downpour and even stronger winds reaching 16mph, if my memory (or Google) didn’t fail me. Which is about 26kmh. Which is normally how fast some uncles drive in KL. Freaking slow, but latch yourself to his windscreen and you get what I mean. Imagine walking against it, just like what I’ve experienced, and everyone on the path looked like they had osteoporosis, slanting back and forth and side to side just to stay upright. Funny.

These days, the sky turns dark at 4.30pm, rather than the usual 5pm a few weeks ago. With this, I can tell you with certainty that jogging at 5pm with temperatures hovering around 6°C is not a right thing to do. Right after my last class on Thursday, I gave it a solid 5-minute run back to my ecological duck-friendly place. After getting into my room, I felt like pouring hot water down my nose. That was how piercing the cold was. And funnily, after jogging around my biologically diversified place many times, I still can’t get myself to sweat.

A bit of economics now, and the Dubai debt default thing seemed to be a new hype today. Dow Jones is down 154 points (at time of press), presumably being affected by this. That’s what economists do best: relate everything together. Pimco’s investment manager went like “relax, testing testing oni, very quick okay wan la” (@CNN). Experts say it isn’t a crisis at all. US stock markets were like “Sei Lo!!” and percentage points fell.

This is big news, but there’s something that is even more important than the crazy debt: the Krafts-Cadbury thing. Oh, its so big that it will determine whether we will eat chocolate or chocolate cheese for snacks. It will determine whether future Dairy milk will come with bacteria and microorganisms. And, it will determine whether the Cadbury packaging will remain purple, or become yellow. Scary.

I can’t imagine how Krafts is going to integrate the famous Cadbury Dairy Milk into their line of products. Imagine brown Oreos, Jacob Crunchie biscuits, and Toblerone Flakes and you are not far off. I also cannot imagine Cadbury stuff taking in a bit of Krafts: Cadbury Dairy Milk with Ali Coffee, Dairy Milk with Taco Bell, kinda scary. And then there’s the cheese- Dairy Tiramisu!! Can bake cake....

Then there’s the Cadbury factory in Birmingham. The chocolate figures were annoying enough, but if they’re sold, there might be Cheeseman and Chocolate Girl holding hands in the amusement park, production side that smells like cough mixture, and at the chocolate bar, they ask you, “green cheese or purple cheese to go with the chocolate?”

Maybe Krafts would just buy over Cadbury and keep them as an individual entity, like Oreo, you don’t get Oreos with the yellow stuff inside, do you? Or they might just use it to make better Toblerone. And Taco Bell.

Let’s just hope for the best, and eat as much Cadbury as possible, in case the brand disappears.

And hope for good weekend as well.

2 comments:

  1. The same thing is happening here about the whether, just that it rains for longer periods in the afternoon recently.

    As for the Krafts-Cadbury combo, I don't think all the products would be too bad unless they use really strong cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. only thinking, i dont think a full product integration will happen, but wouldnt it be scary (and funny) if it happens? haha

    ReplyDelete