Monday, July 27, 2009

Look Upon the Stars……

It was in December 2008 that I gone through one of the most enjoyable day in my life thus far. No, it wasn’t speeding up and down the windy roads of Cameron Highlands the whole afternoon, nor eating ice-cream on that particular freezing-cold day. It was my trip up to the tea farm in the middle of the night, which I’ve done a million times, but this time with a totally different perspective to what I see.

It was about 10pm, when my cousins and I left Tanah Rata for the tea farm located midway to Gunung Brinchang. By the time we got to Kampung Raja (the foot of Gunung Brinchang, and the entrance to the tea farm), it was already half past ten. We made a left turn up a small hill, and a couple of twists and turns later, we stopped at the side of the road. The road, in the middle of the tea farm, was dark and serves as an access road to those living in the farm, and Gunung Brinchang, so traffic was extremely light at night, let alone this late. So we turned off the engine and lights, and got out, only to be hit in the nose by the chilling breeze that ought to pierce my throat. As it was pitch black, there wasn’t a view at all, although the road overlooks half of the farm, and the moon wasn’t in sight too, presumably looking for somewhere warmer. A little gossiping the next day told of temperatures in the region of 16s in Tanah Rata that night, and a few degrees lower in the farms. I wouldn’t doubt that.

Then we looked up, and the sky was lit up with stars. There were many stars, presumably hundreds of them. Some were blinking (I hear you say satellites, but lets not spoil this, okay? :P) while others were brightly lit, and as always, I stare in awe.

This place never fails to surprise me. The previous time I came here, my cousins held a birthday party for me (two cars, a piece of Secret Recipe cheese cake, a candle and multiple torchlights at 12am), and about a year ago, my cousin broke up with her dude at this very spot.

Having completed my AS at that time, it was a real time-out for me, to catch a breath before returning to KL. Just like taking off my glasses (Post 2), but this time, it’s all real and a lot more comforting. Being in a peaceful place with no phone signal is one thing, but being in a peaceful place accompanied by the sounds of insects and leaves feathering each other, you have to be present to feel the serenity.

I laid on the bonnet, staring straight at the sky, while trying to reflect on life and what I’ve been through the past 12 months, but all that comes to mind is that the next 6 months of A Levels will (fingers crossed) be much better. Indeed, life at TCSH was much better over the months, but its only when my results are out that I could tell you life was indeed better there. Until then, I’m just gonna lie atop this cold metal bonnet and try not to fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment